Sunday, May 21, 2006

Thoughts from abroad....

I won't pretend that the past two weeks haven't been difficult. The thought has crossed my mind more than once that we have bitten off more than we could chew, as having a new born baby is quite a big ask in these circumstances. Perhaps in any circumstances.

Japan always strikes me as a place of extremes. Extraordinary kindness and strangeness in equal measure. In the past week there has been yet another violent crime against a child - a boy found dead not far from his village home in Akita Prefecture. A girl was found dead only a fortnight earlier in not dissimilar circumstances in the same town, but the police (as usual) failed to detect foul play. Now they can see a connection. Such is hindsight!

As for kindness, well, it abounds. A friend has planted a vegetable garden for us. Tonight we went to our dear friend Shu's house for dinner. No ceremony, no fuss. Just a Japanese family at home on a Sunday night. Boy, I love that!

Week 3 begins tomorrow. I hope that I can report greater stamina for the struggle ahead in my next post. I want to be a better husband and father. Really.

No comments: