Saturday, August 30, 2008

js20 Nearby Attractions


Most days I walked for about an hour in whatever direction the mood took me. One of the most common walks from our place was past the hospital and down through the apartment blocks of Nishiyama. Our closest temple was Shingetsuin, which we explored on our first stay. I often walked through the graveyard and then along the lines of smooth raked stones. Most often though I walked past the temple entrance on my way to the station or shops, for I particularly liked the curve in the road where a shrine lantern (pictured) stood at the base of some steep stairs. On the lower side was a cute-as-a-button church (such juxtapositions are of no concern to the syncratistic Japanese) while on the upper, a wood mason toiled in his workshop. I loved the smell of the just-cut wood, though less his eternally smoking fire. There are more photos of Shingetsuin posted at this site.

http://www.sanda.gr.jp/Shingetsuin/index.html

No comments: