Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Counselling update

In February this year, I decided to enroll in a distance counselling course with AIPC. While I have always enjoyed being in a helping situation, the thought of training as a counsellor was still a bit of a leap of faith for me. But it was one which I took up nevertheless.

Since that time I have been ploughing through online units of work on areas as diverse as psycho-analysis (which I won't be practicing) and counselling ethics (which I will be paying close attention to). I have really enjoyed the challenge so far, not least because the process of becoming a counsellor entails considerable self-reflection and self-directed change, something I hope that my clients one day embrace.

The course also mandates a number of formal practical assessment days where students get the chance to practice and be assessed on the skills they have thus learnt, in front of an experienced counsellor or psychologist. Last week was my fourth such day (Counselling Therapies 1) and over two days we covered the introductory practicalities of Person-Centred, Gestalt and Behavioural Therapy. That's a big ask for any group of novices but it went off well and the learning experience itself was enough to make the trip to Parramatta worthwhile.

I really am enjoying this journey. If I get to practice one day, then I will have something else to be grateful for.

No comments: