Wednesday, June 30, 2010

js45 tenjin jinja



The nearest important shrine to us was Tenjin Jinja. Nadia and I often walked past or through the shrine or its adjacent park on ambles or rides about Sanda. It was the venue for the usual shrine-related activities, for festivals, picnics and cherry blossom viewing. It was always a peaceful place, a vantage point for looking across the Muko River valley and up to the centre of Sanda. Cutting across the shrine was also a bit of a short cut home if we were in the region of Max Value.

On one occasion we had an excursion arranged by Nihongo Salon, a visit to the actual inner sanctum of the shrine and an audience with the (shinto) priest. It was interesting but, not having a command of the language, difficult to fully appreciate. Still, I recall we got the gist of what he said. Or I thought I did.

The shots I have posted are quite old ones, dating from a time shortly after our arrival in Japan in 2001. There's me in front of the shrine itself and Nadia in the adjacent park.

No comments: