Sunday, January 02, 2011

resolutions anonymous

Traditionally, today is the time to make a list of resolutions for the coming year. Most of us aspire to be better people in some way, and resolutions seem to fit that bill. The only problem is - they are almost impossible to keep. Why?

Well, it's not rocket science, but having studied behaviourism, it's possible to see resolutions as merely wishful thinking, without the planning and execution required to become sustainable projects. For example, say I resolve to lose weight this year. A noble and very commonly articulated objective. So, hypothetical me goes for a week or so with a planned diet and a regular exercise program. The momentum is sustained by my initial enthusiasm and the relative novelty of the goal. Rather soonish though, I get back into old habits and the resolution is ultimately broken.

Now, if I had set up a reasonable, specific and achievable goal (I will lose 10 kilos in 8 weeks), created a pathway to achieving the goal ( a diary of scheduled meals and calories, support persons, rewards and punishments, weekly targets etc), I would have been well on the way to achieving my resolution.

So really, resolutions are just a lot of hot air expended in the service of delayed disappointment. Keep making them by all means. I won't be making any that I can't follow through on. Hopefully.

Happy New Year.

No comments: