Tuesday, July 12, 2011

early years 3

On our recent annual trips to North Bondi (as ostensible house and pet sitters), I have begun reclaiming some of my past. My family lived in the Eastern Suburbs until 1968, so my first nine years were spent there. Rose Bay Public was my entry into the world of formal learning, not necessarily a happy one, as schools in those days were not overly friendly places to attend. Compared with my son's cuddly induction into kindergarten at Hazelbrook Public, which involved all manner of getting-to-know-you reassurances and activities, my recollections are overlaid with a thick frost.

Take my 2nd grade teacher, Miss Lullam. Doubtless a competent educator, Miss Lullam appeared very elderly indeed in my juvenile estimation. I do remember her having a very wrinkled neck and hands, so the chances are that she was well over retirement age. Miss Lullam ruled with an iron fist - any infraction being liable to an (edge-on) ruler across the hand or knuckles. She sang with a high soprano voice that had a thick vibrato, creating the impression that a faded opera star had come into our midst. And while she taught us many things, the only thing I can remember her saying was, "I'll cane you child, I'll cane you and I'll cane you well." In those days, it was fine to whack students any time you liked.

No comments: