Sunday, January 26, 2014

As I said in an earlier post, I have taken Tom to a few movies over the holidays. More recently, we went with a friend to a Lego show at Castle Towers in Castle Hill.

Castle Hill is one of those places full of evocative moments for me. I taught at the local high school from the mid-1980's and it remains (apart from Japan) my favourite teaching post. It was there that I cut my teeth as a drama teacher, developed my first specific teaching space and embarked on all sorts of interesting enterprises. It wasn't without controversy. I was still learning how to teach and maybe trying to grow up. Teaching was always a tough ask for someone who, at the deepest level, wasn't really sure of himself. Well, that was then, as they say.

Castle Towers is much larger than I remember it. Tom and his friend Reilly perused the models at the Lego display for maybe 15 minutes and then headed purposefully for the shop. For kids these days, it's all about buying stuff. Something new, something quickly discarded. There were some great models there too, including a Gowings store. And genuflections abounded to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Here is a photo of Tom in front of a large city scape, replete with trains, town centre and super hero miniatures.

No comments: