Friday, February 14, 2014

China

I have been corresponding with Xiaoyu since early October last year. She popped up on RSVP one sunny spring day and I sent a 'hello'. I think that we have emailed each every day since that time. As days morphed into weeks, it became clear there was something developing between us, or the potential for that development. I made plans to come to China, so we could find out whether we might be suited to each other. And I have just recently returned from that trip.

In most respects we are well suited, temperamentally, physically and in terms of our interests. She is a yoga and dance teacher, which is most appealing. I was an English teacher. She wants to start a new life and I have the patience and time to help her. She is keen to learn English. I am keen to help her. And I already have a great interest in Chinese history and culture.

So we shall see. Soon, I hope, she will have a computer and an internet connection so we can regularly chat on QQ. We already like each other and know a lot about each other. We have spent ten days together and I have seen most of Nanning. Xiaoyu has been a wonderful guide. I have met her family and friends. I have experienced great kindness.

I told a close friend of mine that I had reached a very definite fork in the road. She replied that it wasn't so much a fork as a ten-lane expressway. Maybe that is true. Only time will tell.

No comments: