Saturday, July 19, 2014

I have been doing a Tesol online course for about six weeks now and it surprises me just how little English grammar I remember. Some of the names and constructions I recall, though more likely I came across these studying French in junior high school. The fact is is that a lot of technical grammar simply isn't taught any more to native speakers, nor should it be, frankly. But for new learners of English, being able to identify and name language components is useful. It helps to be able to to refer to a participle or a gerund and know that everybody in the room has a handle on the conversation.

Why am I doing such a course? I have in my mind the idea that I might become a kind of travelling English doctor, seeking out new clients and experiences in Sydney. It's hard to know how this might work - I have a few notions in my head - but I would like to give it a try. Teaching is close to my favourite thing and being the social animal that I am, this seems like a good fit.

Since I started using my combustion heater again, Tom has been busy with a little hatchet I bought him. Even on very cold mornings, he is keen to get outside and chop at dead wood. At the moment I can see him playing out the back with a length of bamboo, in imitation, perhaps, of a martial arts exponent. I have a lovely garden and should we sell, I would certainly miss it.


No comments: