Thursday, February 26, 2015

Tom is back at school and seems quite happy this year. Hazelbrook PS have a policy of composite classing. Students are formed into classes around educational stages, not strictly by their age. So this year Tom is in a 4/3 class, with an equal mix of kids from grades 3 and 4. It seems to work well on the academic level, though I harbor some misgivings over social development.

I am still with Anglicare ER on Wednesdays and enjoy it as much as ever. I think that I was built to help and I get a huge amount of pleasure from doing it. I said once that being an ER caseworker is the closest match to a perfect fit for me. There is no greater satisfaction than seeing a client leave an interview with their life less fractured and their prospects heightened. It is all about change and though these changes may be small, they offer the opportunity for continued improvement.

On Fridays I am still toting my guitar and amps downstairs to our cafe, set up specifically for our clients. The free coffee and food, live music and friendly conversation are great but incidental to the fact that people get to leave their houses and social isolation and mix it up a little.

I have been coming to the cafe for 3 years now and it has truly been a blessing. I don't know how much longer the dance will last as wheels of sorts are in motion and I don't know where or how they will end up. Who does?

No comments: