Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Yesterday was Tom's first day of high school. Now halfway through his compulsory school life, it is up to him to make the best of his chances. Of course, I will be there to help and support, though ultimately, parents have less sway than might be imagined. I tend to be of the soft power school, encouraging where I can, intervening where there is little other choice, though reluctantly even then. But I can't sit the tests or develop the skills required, only cheer (quietly) on the sidelines. I have quibbles with what is taught (more critical thinking and philosophy, please) and whether the regimes of testing that have been increasingly present in recent times achieve their purpose or just stymie genuine, independent thinking. I wish Tom well and hope that he finds his niche.

Also yesterday, Ann and I took a short walk from the Scenic Railway to Katoomba Falls, a round trip of perhaps 2kms. We stopped often at lookouts and in the midst of cool grotto's, for the temperature soared mid-morning. The dry rainforest was gorgeous, Ann being often in awe of the size of the trees. She maintains that most big trees in Thailand have been chopped down. At Juliet's Balcony, we paused again. Romeo was behind the lens, on this occasion.

No comments: