Sunday, September 23, 2018

I have been a member of the Moo Choir in Warrimoo (where else??) since 2012, when my previous marriage ended. I could not reasonably stay in my existing choir (Crowd Around), for even though I was a founding member, my former wife and mother-in-law were also choristers. Luckily I was able to jump ship and landed in a group a short distance away with a similar sound and repertoire to the one I had left.

Since that time Moo has gone from strength to strength through no small effort of the current artistic director, Suzanne Langford. Sure, Suzanne inherited a choir that was already singing competently and which had a decent membership, but in truth she has taken us to a higher level. It is not easy to get a great sound from a non-audition SATB choir, but somehow she does.

In August we sang at the premier Blue Mountains choral event, the Blackheath Festival. You don't get on the main stage unless you can produce the goods, so we were chuffed to get a Sunday morning spot before a sell-out audience. We only had 15 minutes to get on and off and sing, quite a martial demand, but I think we did well. Most importantly the audience seemed to like us too.

I rarely print soloist shots and I don't like side-profiles but I will relent this once at Ann's insistence. For the record, my solo part was towards the end of a mishmash/mixup of Stand By Me and We Shall Overcome.



No comments: