Thursday, October 25, 2018

My copy of Man and his Symbols by Carl Jung (et al) arrived in the post a day ago. It is a slightly tatty, second-hand tome that wound its way from someone in the UK to my door. Jung is generally regarded as difficult to read because of his mysticism, but this volume is straight- forward enough and I have not had to reread anything thus far, a positive sign of lucid writing if ever there was one.

I am really interested in Jung's ideas on the structure of the mind, which he posits consists of the conscious mind, the personal subconscious and the collective subconscious. The latter is the most fascinating; the idea of a kind of race memory (symbols passed on through heredity as a result of our long evolutionary journey) is something I have always wondered at. But how to prove these elegant, deep theories? I am aware of the long years of experience Jung had both as a clinician and theorist, but reading through the book one is struck by the thought, where is the evidence? That doesn't, however subtract from the quality of the ideas expressed, at least, not in my estimation. For most therapists, I suppose the lure of the shorter-term REBT or CBT and their in-the-now approaches is preferable. The Jungian therapist might take years, but it would be quite a ride for all concerned.

I will more to say about Man and his Symbols as I get deeper in, perhaps something even worthwhile.






No comments: