Monday, January 13, 2020

All cultures and peoples have their superstitions, many with deep historical roots and regional variations. On my first trip to Thailand in 1994, I became duly acquainted with some of the more exotic Thai superstitions because my guide book had them dutifully listed next to the Social Etiquette in Thailand section.

Now I make a point of reading up on such things before I visit a foreign country, the better to present a smaller target of myself to the locals. 'When in Rome' is a pretty reasonable pointer to behaviour when overseas. Mass tourism has only made the need greater and all the more so since we are confronted daily by examples of cultural boganism. But I digress.

Amongst the more interesting Thai superstitions that I learnt were the following. You should not whistle at night. Now I don't ordinarily whistle at the best of times but in the unlikely event that I had the urge to pucker up whilst perusing a night market, I was told that it would summon ghosts and malevolent spirits. I would be a kind of pied-piper of the demon world.

Ghosts could also be summoned by bending down to look between your legs, which is not something I do everyday, in fact, only on the two occasions that I can recall, those being in Amanohashidate in Japan. I will leave it to you to find out why.

Oddly enough, a person cannot procure a haircut on a Wednesday as this is also unlucky, though my wife disputes the veracity of this one. Perhaps Phetchabun has an opt-out clause. Likewise it is terribly unlucky for one who points at a rainbow, for you will lose that finger if you do. Pointing with the index finger is considered rude anyway so maybe this is just tying up lose ends. Beware also if you get a twitch in your right eye - something ill will befall you - though this could be offset by developing a twitch in the left eye, which augers well.

Finally, at least for now, if you hear a gecko, do not venture out.

Don't even think about it!



No comments: