Tuesday, April 13, 2021

And on the subject of poignant remembrances, this verse from St. Vincent Millay confronts the unavoidable, though entirely unwelcome trigger, for much that is tender, if only in recollection.

"I am not resigned to the shutting away of loving hearts in the hard ground.
So it is, and so it will be, for so it has been, time out of mind:
Into the darkness they go, the wise and the lovely. Crowned
With lilies and with laurel they go; but I am not resigned."

Whether we are resigned to it or not is surely the point, though fighting the acceptance of oblivion and all those who are cast into it may not be a choice after all. 

"Gently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind."

"Dirge Without Music" is a lovely, sad poem, to my way of thinking, something I might like to have written, had I the skill. 

No comments: