Monday, June 07, 2021

It behooves me, after a period of some two months, to give a progress report on my new bike. You may recall that just prior to last Easter, and on the advice of a physio, I bought a Himo C20, an electric-assisted bicycle. 

My initial impressions were glowing. It seemed like a well-built, competently-designed bike that performed pretty much up to spec, save that the 80 kilometre capacity of the battery was a tad sanguine. I haven't tested the distance, it being better for the battery life, apparently, if I recharge after a partial discharge of the battery, rather than let it run down to zero. But I am guessing that 60 kilometres would be very doable, perhaps a little more.

For those wondering whether an e-bike is for them I can only offer this. If you live in a hilly area such as I do, then the electric-assist makes a huge difference, something akin to that first experience of breezing along the road as a kid. You can still pedal hell-for-leather and reduce the amount of assistance, thus getting greater exercise and prolonging the charge. You can also coast along just using the throttle. Up to you entirely.

Petty dislikes include the weight of the bike and the lack of suspension, but these are more than compensated for in other ways. Of course, if you pay more money you can get a lighter bike, one with more bells and whistles. But I was on a budget. 

So in summary, thus far, a good bike. No problems with the electrics nor any with the mechanicals. It handles well and brakes well. The layout of the handlebar is logical. It also garners quite a few admiring looks with its fairly hip design. I am fitter and happier for riding it.



No comments: