Sunday, December 11, 2022

The current World Cup in Qatar has been jogging my memory about things Fifa-ish. I should add that a visit to my mum's unit in Dee Why on Thursday last also proved to be a powerful aid to recall. I was sitting on the lounge when she pointed out an old cloth badge that was lying on a sideboard. It was my Manly Warringah Soccer Association Referees badge, an item which I had obviously removed from my uniform some decades earlier in order to preserve the memory.

You see, my teen years were dominated by the sport. I played, coached, managed and officiated it. I also spectated the game from the sideline, the grandstand and on TV. I think I went to every Socceroos Sydney game from 1973 to 1977. It was an obsession that I shared with my best friend, Wayne. We had the full kit and flags to boot.

Our ref's uniform was the classic black and white, the same as for professional games at that time. We were payed a small sum to ref junior soccer matches and as we became better, we graduated to older players. At 16 I think were doing Under 18 games and acting as linesmen in all-age games. Of course, you get to know the rules very well. You get to realise also how flawed that knowledge is amongst players and coaches. And people on the sideline!

I find the current iteration of the hand-ball rules perplexing. Back in the 1970's, a penalty was awarded if the player deliberately handled the ball or brought it under control as a result of an unintentional handling. Thus the referee made the call based on what they saw and there were grounds for reasonable doubt. Today it appears that the ball only has to strike your arm or hand under any circumstances and a penalty results. Players are getting pinged for any old infringement, including one extraordinary decision when the ball was belted at a player as he fell backwards, using his hand to break his fall. The ball struck his hand as he fell. Now that's just dumb, in my estimation.

The rule book.                                                    



The badge.


No comments: