Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Dr Charles Stanley, the well-known pastor and TV evangelist, passed away yesterday at the age of 90. I have only recently come to his broadcasts, watching the first, perhaps, about a year ago on YouTube. Since that time, I guess I have viewed or listened to dozens of his sermons and rarely ever been disappointed - they have usually been challenging in a very real way.

I credit Charles Stanley as one of those people who helped guide me back into a Christian path after decades away from it. He may not have been all that happy that I chose Roman Catholicism (although he might not have minded!) but I am sure that he would have been delighted with my return to the faith. Like Billy Graham, he was a great man of God and blessed countless thousands with his work.

He often quoted favourite passages of scripture, one of which was 'absent from the body, present with the Lord' from 2 Corinthians. Nothing is more fitting today than to repeat that verse, for Charles Stanley has indeed left his body, and if our faith is true, is now with the Lord.

Vale Charles Stanley.

No comments: