Speaking of literacy, I watched an old BBC doco from the early 1960's in which some of the adults who were interviewed bemoaned their lack of education, relative to that of their children. Many had left school quite young and felt that had they had the same chance as their kids, their incomes who be significantly higher. It was interesting how strongly they attached educational background to earnings (valid as that is) and so little to intellectual striving or personal fulfilment. Then again, they didn't really have much choice and their limited vision, stunted by their educational lack, made such remarks perfectly reasonable.
Another aspect of the program (which was highlighting changes in nature of South London after WW2) was the common response to 'are you happier now?' inquiry. While most said that they were undoubtedly better off than their parents were, the increase in living standards and new high-rise housing had diminished their sense of community. Things were not so neighbourly as they once were.
Such an atomisation continues apace. The folk from the sixties cited TV as a major cause of the decline of local camaraderie. Today a similar argument is made with smart phones. Doubtless we are also far more affluent than the people in the documentary. When I am on the train, I often just watch my fellow commuters, most of whom are deeply engaged with all-in-one entertainment machines. The only voices I hear are those who are talking into those machines. This is not a criticism, just an observation. I am not sure where it is all leading.
No comments:
Post a Comment