Sunday, December 04, 2005

On Thinking

I often wonder what it would be like to be dumb. Or I should say, not so bright. Hardly a day passes without some grim reminder of how intelligence, so highly prized in Western civilisation, is sometimes a burden.

Today, for example, I read that intelligence, or at least a lot of it, has a correlation with Parkinson's Disease. There seems also to be a link between braininess and depression. There is data that suggests that the more educated you become, the less happy you are.

Maybe all this will be turned on its head by future research, but the adage about the happy guy with his six pack and TV set seems somewhat true. Live simply, live happily, heh?

All this thinking! My mind is never still, always restless, twitching and shifting between considerations of the self (oh, please to be spared from these!) and the myriad problems of the world. Right and wrong, truth and beauty, life and death (one more dichotomy and you're sacked - ed) oh yes, and God, do the circuit of my mind daily.

But if I look up from the computer, through the window, and beyond the neighbour's roof, I can see an endless expanse of sky. Nobody has got around to changing that, just yet.

No comments: