Sunday, January 14, 2007

Worst pop music ever

Sometimes I tune into my local community radio Honey FM for the short duration of its tiny footprint, though I am never sure why. Morning programming is particularly anodyne, either, a selection of American Country from the 1970's, or, pop hits of the same era. Thinking about the latter ( a mismash of bubblegum tosh that I really had forgotten existed) set me to wondering about a SMH blog I read the other day,,,,,,,the worst ever pop songs.

I had meant to respond to the blog but found myself wondering whether the songs listed could ever represent anything other than a personal viewpoint. Surely there must be a list of the top 20 worst songs we could all agree on? Doesn't everyone groan at the mention of....(Insert your most hated song in this space)? But here is where memory plays a trick. Even while I agreed, for the most part, with the bloggers opinion, listening to Honey FM's ghastly selection demonstrated that there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of forgotten pop tragedies. Most of them are of equal awfulness. Any ranking would be purely subjective.

Was it Elton John who said that pop music is really a disposable commodity, like so much else? We can love songs for a little while and then forget them , like spring flowers. Perhaps all that matters is how we felt at the time we liked them, in that short space between familiarity and contempt.

No comments: