Sunday, September 07, 2008

js23 Fukada Park Amphitheatre


All over Sanda City, and no doubt across Japan, are evacuation areas that are solemn reminders that the country is prone to earthquakes, tsunami and typhoons. Fukada Park amphitheatre is a good example of such an area, though it also serves as a performance space, albeit on a rather epic level.

There is a little story which I always associate with this space. When we came to Japan for our sister-city gigs in 1998, Fukada Park was the site of the major performance, a show which included three choirs and a symphony orchestra. It was a wonderful night.

Here I must digress. For the story really begins back in Australia in 1993, when I found a little poster at the local library advertising singing workshops. I tore off the tiny hand-written strip with the contact details. I joined the class (there were only three or four of us) which was run by one Janet Swain. Later that year, Janet formed the choir Crowd Around in her living room, and the rest is (choral) history.

By 1998 we had built a bit of a reputation in the Blue Mountains and Janet applied for (or was asked) to assist with the Sanda-Blue Mountains Sister-City Celebrations. Could we possibly go to Japan for a week of homestay and performance, as representatives of the Blue Mountains? I think you can guess at our answer.

And so we did. And this is what the amphitheatre in Fukada Park always reminds me of. By reading a poster and acting upon an impulse, I ended up living and working in Japan. I also met my wife, who joined Crowd Around in 1998. And we had Tom and began a new journey. You know, I could never have guessed it if you'd asked me 15 years ago.

I'd like to have posted a photo of the choir on stage 10 years ago, but I don't have one handy. So here's a relatively recent shot of the space. It's quiet now but it was buzzing with people and energy then. And so so hot.

No comments: