Saturday, April 25, 2009

new learning

Since starting my diploma of counselling, I have been on a fairly steep learning curve. A lot of the information seems 'obvious' and 'common sense', the problem with that being that neither of those descriptions finds a common application in real life. I find that if something is obvious, then often as not, it isn't. It's just that a part of my brain that has heard or experienced this kind of thing in the past suddenly recalls the shadow of that experience, and then proclaims, 'why, of course.' The same with common sense. I don't think that walking on broken glass with bare feet is very common sensical, but people apparently pay other people to do just that. (Where is this going? Ed.)

The skills-based information in my counselling texts is another matter. So far I have been presented with about 10 methods or strategies for effective counselling, and to be honest, if I ever do practice counselling, I might need an autocue behind the client's head to remember them. I have a prac coming up in a few weeks which should be interesting and a bit of a challenge. I do need challenges so I am looking forward to it.

In case you are wondering about my college and the courses that are offered, I have put a link on the right (AIPC) to the site. There are even a few free articles for those of you who are so inclined.

No comments: