Thursday, July 08, 2010

js 46 juku life





Over the course of our time in Japan, I was often involved in teaching English in cram schools or juku. Unlike the the activities happening around me (usually self-directed further study under the supervision of a tutor), I was facilitating English conversation, similar to the classes at home in Sanda.

I found the juku classes very hit and miss in terms of satisfaction, particularly if students were unmotivated or simply too tired. Sometimes classes changed with little warning, students dropped out or new classes formed with wildly differing levels of competence. It was pretty clear that the juku were keen on maximising returns, or minimising losses. I had little choice but to play along and do my best.

The juku classes were always upcountry in Sasayama-guchi or Kaibara and gave me a little window into another aspect of the Japanese education system. It was hard work for the average high school student - to spend all day at school, participate almost daily in 'club' activities after school, then front up for more study at a juku. On top of that they would have a pile of homework from regular school. Tired - who us?

I have chosen a number of shots here, including, a nearby shrine attached to Kaibara Hachiman jinja, one of the kitchen classes, 'the stairway to learning' and the street that our juku was located in. The cyclist in the last shot is right about at the door of our establishment.

No comments: