Sunday, August 15, 2010

by Mrs Ireland

My wife Nadia has said that she will write a book someday called Mr Ireland, by Mrs Ireland. In it, she plans to expand upon my many eccentricities and foibles. Apparently, this subject matter will be of interest to more than just an in-the-know circle of friends and family. A wider audience is envisaged, such will be the comic breadth of her writing.

I admit, I am at least a passable subject for study in the local environment, though not more than any other person really. Nadia is a good writer, with a style that is very readable, unpretentious, free from wordiness or obvious contrivance. Sometimes I am a little reminded of the Japanese author, Banana Yoshimoto. An apparently simple, direct style that places the focus on the characters and the story. It is not really 'simple' at all, but a learnt skill.

As for me, the less said the better. I am close to finishing my counselling diploma and have had many opportunities to 'work on myself', psychologically. It's a tough balancing act - to create greater self-awareness and personal change without coming across as a navel-gazing obsessive. I guess I could release my notes on myself as material for Nadia's forthcoming book. Or write my own. That guy, by This one.

No comments: