Monday, August 02, 2010

js47 life with tom








I think I have mentioned before that out first two years in Japan were as a couple, alone. On the third occasion, we had the baby Tom too. This radically altered what we could do and when we could do it. Out went the fairly regular weekend trips to the nearby cities like Kobe and Osaka. Out went much of our bike-riding about town. Our social life took a significant dip as well. And every parent will tell you that sleep deprivation becomes a serious issue, especially when both parents are working.

Still, we managed. Nadia took the brunt of the sleep loss and I am forever indebted to her for it. We re-organised the 'away' work, which became my exclusive domain. Sometimes I took the evening classes for my exhausted wife. We were lucky to have our live-in friend Miwa to help out, a real blessing, as I have said many times before.

Taking Tom out, aside from when I wheeled him in the stroller around Sanda, involved loading up our trusty Mitsubishi and going somewhere, usually a shopping centre, the veggie cafe in Arinodai or to the local doctor. We did the summer trip to the Tango-Hanto Peninsula too. Now and then they both came with me for the trip out to Sasayama, though this was rare. And maybe twice we went as a family by train into the big smoke.

I include a selection of Tom shots in various localities. It was a struggle but also a pleasure. I don't think he remembers anything, though the link with Japan remains strong.

No comments: