Thursday, April 21, 2011

Tom and Nadia are away visiting rellies in Melbourne, so I am alone for a few days. It feels distinctly odd because I really haven't been on my own for a long time. I keep expecting requests, sorry, demands, to play, for juice or toast, complaints about this or that, or just insolent noises, at every turn.

This morning I had tea with my AIPC friend Leonie. We first met at an assessment during our counselling course and I hope that we can work as counsellors together. I think that Leonie has a common touch, is very empathic and is a great communicator, all good qualities in a therapist. And of course we can become better friends.

Footage tonight on the news of the PM and first man meeting the Emperor in Tokyo. With decent political leadership in short supply in Japan(since the retirement of the lionheart, Koizumi), the Emperor and broader royal family have become increasingly important as a steadying influence within Japanese society. One can argue the case that hereditary monarchies have no place in modern society but, if nothing else, the institutions elevation above the often heated fray of political debate is a distinct advantage.

Possums are snarling at each other outside and this afternoon, I heard cicadas singing. Well, there are always possums scrapping or bouncing on our back deck, but cicadas in April? That's a little odd.

No comments: