Saturday, March 26, 2016

I have borrowed a haiku collection from Springwood library a few times now, and perceiving it to be a gem, decided to buy a copy on ebay. Haiku Poetry Ancient and Modern, compiled by Jackie Hardy, is just what it says it is, combining some beautiful haiku from the Japanese masters with more contemporary Western writing. The book itself is a joy, with Japanese woodcuts and paintings throughout.

My copy is not new, though it appears to have been opened only rarely. It was a gift from a young woman to a young man, I'm guessing. The inscription in the front cover reads,

To John

This is my attempt to get you reading poetry! Hope you enjoy!

All my love

Lux xx

It's a lovely and thoughtful gift, but I fear that it did not get John reading poetry, since I now have the book and that volume, in excellent condition.

Here is one from the collection by Susan Rowley

this year
through the dying cherry
so much more sky


And that, my friends, is the power of this short form poem.



No comments: