Thursday, April 28, 2016

On Tuesday Ann and I journeyed to Wat Buddharangsee in Annandale, a temple that is in the Thai Theravada tradition. Ann has been a few times before and she really wanted me to come with her. Since I enjoy any kind of temple or church experience, I was happy to join her. It is quite a while though since I last crossed the threshold into a Thai Buddhist Temple, that being the last time I was in Thailand itself, some 20 years ago.

The liturgy, if that is what one might call the service, was in Pali but English translations were kindly provided. Pali is fairly easy to pronounce when set to a simple chant. I enjoyed it very much and found the droning repetitions peaceful. After the service, the congregation shared a delicious lunch in an adjacent room.

I think we will be going regularly, no burden at all, since the metaphysical is often in my thoughts, tussling as it does, with my rational self.

No comments: