Saturday, June 04, 2016

Last weekend I went to Canberra to sing with my choir in a mass choral event at the High Court. The trip down was difficult with strong gusts buffeting my car most of the way. I should have made more stops than the obligatory Goulburn rest break, but seeing Suzanne's car so close to me on the highway upon leaving Narellan made me a little competitive. And of course, that's just plain stupid. Cue arrival in Canberra feeling exhausted!

The show itself, two days later, in the cavernously-open reception of the High Court, a building of modernist pretensions (seas of windows, swirls and flats of concrete), was wonderful. There is a very special feeling when a large group of people sing together, the act itself having a therapeutic, perhaps even spiritual dimension. Its communality is something that humans respond to on a very deep level.

The place was packed with supporters and the program was diverse enough to keep the interest for the hour or so. Kudos to the dynamic Rachel Hore whose direction and energy were fundamental factors in the success of the concert.

Where would we be without song?

The tenor:



The rehearsal:



The program:




No comments: