Saturday, June 18, 2016

Meanwhile in Australia, we are in the last two weeks of an elongated election campaign for the Federal Parliament. I confess that I have not been watching too closely, not beyond the odd newspaper piece, opinion poll or pundit debate on the TV. I have been of the opinion since long before the election was called that the Government, which I do not support, will be comfortably returned. I see no reason to revise this view, even if the polls show a closer-than-expected race.

One odd thing has happened though. I have received three automated telephone polls in the last fortnight. I have never, ever been polled before and I have long wondered who actually was being polled, since I don't recall anyone who has confessed to it. Yes, three polls, all asking my voting intentions in the seat of Macquarie. We are a marginal seat with a 4.50% swing required, (though the intentions of the the majority of Blue Mountains folk are rendered void by the nefarious activities of that ghastly crew of aspirationals in the nether regions of the electorate), but it is a comfortable marginal in this election.

Australia is a place of relatively dull politics, save 1975. And I suppose that is not such a bad thing, given the alternatives.

No comments: