Thursday, December 21, 2017

There is a lot of unearned inflated self-regard about and it appears to be getting worse. Pandering to this epidemic of me and me and me again is a cafe in England that is now offering a selfieccino (surely a horrible word in any dialect of English). An image of the customer is uploaded to the cafe where a clever machine prints said image onto the froth of a cappuccino.

It is not for me to offer a moral argument on this ghastly development but it is impossible not to look scornfully at the concept. After all, coffee at a cafe is a social activity. It is conducive to a lively conversation about all manner of things, from the mundane to the mystical, but now I fear that in addition to people staring at their hands for inspiration, they will also peer longingly at themselves, as rendered on the surface of their beverage. Sure, I understand that it can all be had in good fun and that the phenomena may pass like so many other fads. On the other hand, it might just be the beginning.

Caravaggio would have additional subject matter if he was painting today.

No comments: