Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Ann and I have been attending to numerous matters Buddhist over the past few days. I am sometimes not sure exactly what her plans entail nor why, but I am happy to go along and make a little merit. For a Westerner, the arcane ways of Thai Buddhism provide a fairly endless source of fascination and not a little amusement at times. I don't mean any disrespect for my mirth comes mostly at my own expense, my clumsiness and ignorance of practices being sufficient cause.

Thai Buddhism has a towering theology and cosmology that I will likely never really comprehend on anything more than a superficial level. Still, I enjoy the liturgy and chanting, the ceremonies and coming together of community. I especially like the communal meal afterwards, towards which all the congregants contribute. The West may be falling into a more parlous state because we have allowed ritual to fall into abeyance, where once it occupied an important part of daily life.

On Saturday we went to our favourite Thai town shop, Two doors, which appears, sadly, to be closing. Two Doors was hosting a visiting monk from Thailand, a man who has come to raise funds for the orphaned children of parents who have died of HIV. He was a power of a presence, exuding grace and calm in spite of the difficult work he must do. Ann had her picture taken with him as part of the offertory. The other shot is the shrine area of Wat Buddharangsee, shortly before the service.

No comments: