Tuesday, April 17, 2018

My workaholic wife has Tuesday's off so we planned to have lunch at one of our favourite little cafe's, Hana, in Leura. This little Mountain's gem served Japanese izakaya-style food, good, down-to-earth meals that did not cost a lot. Ann loved the tempura udon, a bowl of fresh seafood and vegetables deep fried in that light Japanese batter, neatly arranged on top of a bed of rice. I rarely eat large amounts at a sitting so a plate of gyoza and a bowl of miso soup were more than adequate, and delicious to boot.

Where am I going with this? Upon checking the opening hours this morning I found, to my genuine surprise and sadness, that Hana was permanently closed. The chef has retired after decades in the game. We wish him well and want to say a heartfelt thank you for the great food and simple ambience.

Arigatou gozaimashita.

Nothing lasts forever.



No comments: