Saturday, August 25, 2018

At the moment I am listening to The Great Courses, Great Minds of the Medieval World. The course lecturer, Prof. Dorsey Armstrong maintains that for her, one sign that a sophisticated civilisation has arrived is the fact that one can choose to be a professional poet, and make a living from it. While she is probably half in jest, I would agree on the broad sweep of the statement, for surely a civilisation has reached some kind of golden era or zenith if its citizens have the time and ability to critically reflect upon their condition as human beings, in writing.

I have rarely met any professional poets who did not have a mainstream job to support themselves though I did encounter one last week, a woman who writes and teaches haiku for a living. My ears pricked up of course as this is an area of interest to me too though I am next to certain I could not make a dollar from writing them. But she does apparently and her work, from what I have read, is very good.

Looking over some of the poems that have won accolades at NHK's Haiku Masters today, I came across one that was very clever and had that lovely ring of truth about it.

The poet is Ken Sawitri, from Indonesia and the category is photo haiku.

No comments: