Tuesday, August 07, 2018

I had my first solo mission of guiding on HMAS Onslow last Sunday. Onslow is a decommissioned Oberon class submarine now stationed at the National Maritime Museum at Darling Harbour. As for me, the last few months have been a training period of sorts, largely consisting of being buddied-up with an experienced guide. I have also been studying some of the Museum's manuals, which present a kind of dry introduction to each ship (or boat). They tend to lack the kinds of storied experience that comes with having served in the RAN.

So imagine my surprise and joy at being on first station (the gangway to the Oberon) when a former submarine commander presented himself as a mere member of the viewing public. I stepped aside and let him amswer questions and essentially conduct an impromptu tour of the boat, a boat which he had actually served on. One doesn't get much luckier, I was later told by a fellow guide.

So now I have a few stories and a more hands-on idea of how to go about making the Oberon come to life for those who have never served on a submarine. Most people tend to wander through the boat without much of an idea, so maybe I can help to make a difference. Stories about human endeavour will always be of interest and sometimes, they can inspire people to make changes in their lives for the better.

HMAS Oberon



No comments: