Thursday, November 22, 2018

Every so often I encounter a poem by a familiar poet, one that I have never read before. It is a puzzling thing when it happens and I wonder, "how did that one slip by unnoticed?" Poets habitually write lots of poems so it is little wonder that I miss a few here or there. But the gems, well, how does that happen?

When I was a high school English teacher, poetry was one of those forms that was required study. It is a dangerous practice this study of literature, not only because there is the risk of encountering life-changing material, but also because, it is possible to destroy the love of literature by teaching it in a dry, disconnected manner. This is especially so for poetry, a condensed form of writing whose meanings can be multiple and elusive. But poetry always pays upon deeper inspection.

One of those poets who often appeared in the Senior English Syllabus was the American, Robert Frost. I loved teaching Frost because he was accessible from different levels of student interest or ability. You can read him straight up - this one is about a fork in the road and the choices we make in life (The Road Less Taken) or you can go deeper, finding the philosophical pearls in Frost's alleged plain speaking.

So I come to the gem that was found, today. It was someone else's favourite poem on Quora and I can well understand why.

Acquainted with the Night

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain—and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height,
One luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.



No comments: