Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Everyone dreams, even if they don't recall them. Many people have recurring dreams. Jung argued that the interpretation of dreams was a very personal affair - dreams were specific to the dreamer - and he was caustic in his criticism of books on the meaning of dreams. Sure, there are motifs that seem universal, such as falling or flying and according to Jung, there is a collective unconscious. So one might reasonably expect that some symbols have a more catholic application.

I have recurring dreams about teaching. I am back at high school as a member of staff. The surroundings, of course, are different and I am not teaching classes directly. It seems to be just before a class or on the way to class. My dream self knows that there is a problem though. I am not supposed to be there at all. I am aware also that I might be found out. In later dreams on a similar theme, I am supposed to be there and yet still, I am not teaching classes.

Reflecting upon the direction of my dreams, one thing at least seems to be apparent. My subconscious appears to have resolved some of the issues that probably arose around my real-life ejection from my high school twenty years ago. Or has it? Perhaps it will only be when I dream of teaching a class that some reconciliation will be achieved.

Or this could all be nonsense.




No comments: