Saturday, August 17, 2019

Some years ago when I was teaching in Japan, I had what you might call my favourite classes. I didn't play favourites of course. It was just that some classes were more fun or more pleasant to teach than others, which is only to be expected.

On Wednesday afternoons one such group of kids rocked in the door about 4pm, their bicycles forming a line outside the front gate. They were three grade 5 elementary school boys from Sanda Shogakko, who had belted up the hill after the final bell, full of enthusiasm and ready to study. Imagine such a scene in Australia! Sorry, but I can't.

One of the boys, Junpei Yamaguchi, was the son of one of our Japanese friends, Shuko. We had first met Shu in the playground of the school during a special school athletics event. She had sauntered over, introduced herself and then asked us to write the lyrics to a song she had composed the music to. We did, but I digress!

Last week the grown-up Junpei came for a short trip to Sydney and I met up with him for lunch and a touch of sight-seeing. Junpei is now in his twenties, has a job with a a firm named Takeda in Hiroshima, and is planning to get married next year. His English is pretty good, for which I must take at least a little credit.

Spending the afternoon with him not only jogged my forgotten Japanese from its hiding place, but reminded me of one of the happiest times of my life.

Thanks buddy!




No comments: