Monday, May 18, 2020

Covid 19 has had a salutary effect on global tourism, amongst other things. Much has already been written about the cruise ship and I will not add to it, except to say, bon voyage. But empty airports, tour buses and famous landmarks speak to the depth of what has occurred.

Thinking about tourism in general and how it has evolved over time, I listened to a podcast about The Grand Tour, a phenomenon that began in the 17th century. Well-to-do folks, many of them English, would take a long tour of France and Italy, ostensibly to complete their education. Taking in the ruins of antiquity and imbibing the cultural milieu became essential additions to the portfolio of the aristocratic lady or gentleman. Many diaries and letters attest to their experiences.

It was while perusing some of these sources that I came across Tobias Smollett's Travels Through France and Italy, published in 1766. A map of Smollett's journey in the front struck me as strangely familiar. Where had I seen this route before? Of course, I thought to myself, this is the same path I took on my first trip to Europe in 1979/80. I didn't stop at all the places that Smollett did, but then, he had two years and I only had three months. But the route was almost identical, from Calais to Paris, through Dijon, Lyon, Avignon, Nice and into Italy.

Now that brings back a memory or two.


No comments: