Thursday, August 13, 2020

I was walking home by a back way from Linden Station, having caught the train two stops from Hazelbrook. This was my planned walk for the day, as having become a little bored with my regular routes. The trouble was, I didn't know if a continuous footpath existed the entire way back to my abode, the sections between towns often having no houses and therefore being without (perhaps) a reasonable pedestrian access.

As it turned out, there was a clear path home, via back ways, tracks, old sections of the highway and narrow corridors of gravel, so I was home in no time at all. Near Linden Station, which services what is essentially a hamlet, I stumbled on an old grave. It was by the side of the road, a simple headstone (described in a book as the Georgian Colonial-era style) to an early pioneer, one John Donohoe, who left this life in 1837, aged 58. Little accurate information can be found on his life except to say that this is an early example of a grave from that period, remembering that the Blue Mountains were only crossed (by white folks!) in 1812. I didn't take a photo out of respect but perhaps one day I will, the better to document the life of an early settler.

No comments: