Monday, August 10, 2020

Choir is back though under considerable duress. Masks and a decent social distance are de rigueur. Doors to the rehearsal hall are wide open to the elements (remembering that this is winter) and some of us are still only present via zoom. I am one of those zoomers.

It is interesting to be a kind of Peeping Tom to the proceedings. I can watch but I cannot be seen. Of course I am participating via audio though my mike is muted. I am getting some practice in but at the expense of the social aspects of being with a group of people with a common purpose. I guess that will come soon enough, pandemic willing.

With the weather turning cold and wet, I have been watching more than my fair share of  TV lately, though much of this is of the "catch-up" variety. A BBC series on key dates in the history of the Roman Empire, the outcomes of which still reverberate with us today, has been most interesting. It's strange how choices made two millennia ago can still inform our lives today, but I guess that is a part of that mystical continuum that is time.

Though as for time - the arrow that appears to us - it is far stranger than any line you might draw from then to now. Everyone once thought that they were living in the present - the now - yet they are currently our ancestors. Later, we are the ancestors, with all the baggage that that word carries. It is hard to imagine sometimes.

No comments: