Sunday, May 09, 2021

We are back in steam train season. It is not uncommon to hear a heaving sha-sha-sha-sha-sha accompanied by a loud blast of air, as a locomotive climbs the long hill up to Hazelbrook and beyond. For two days now, the renovated and magnificent 3801 has been pulling carriages up and down the mountain, with the assistance, I might add, of two diesels. I wouldn't begrudge the old girl some help on the continuous climb from the plains.

I was out cycling an hour ago when I noticed people gathering on bridges and overpasses and guessed, rightly, that she was soon to make a reappearance. I didn't have a camera, but nevertheless post this great photo taken yesterday afternoon (courtesy of Ken Wallace), as the train makes its way back down the mountain. On the right are the Hazelbrook shops.



No comments: