Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Compliance is one of those sometimes mysterious things that it is wise to become acquainted with prior to diving into a project or making a purchase. It is often as not somewhere in the small print or in a place that requires an active search.

For example, before I bought my e-bike I was all set on getting an e-scooter, on the recommendation of my physio. I diligently researched all the models within my budget and came up with the most suitable machine. All ready to buy, I found an obscure note at the bottom of a seller's online page which said that riding e-scooters on public roads or footpaths in my state (NSW) was not legal. Upon checking further, I found that this was true. Segui to e-bicycle.

Since buying the Himo, which at the time seemed perfectly legal in all respects, I have come across a debate over e-bike compliance. A bike shop owner told me that bikes with throttles were not compliant. Of course, he had skin in the game. An reputable online seller insisted that bikes with locked or disabled throttles were compliant. They operated in essentially the same way as the pedelec variety. This was the prevailing opinion at other sites too. My throttle, which is electronically locked, only operates when I am pedalling. No pedal, no power. However, the same model in China can be used as a moped if required. There is a world of difference.

Fortunately, I have compliance stickers that indicate my bike's bona fides, at least within European standards. But it is a bit of a minefield and well worth looking into before taking a plunge, which I recommend that you do.


No comments: