Sunday, August 01, 2021

The last month of winter has opened with a mild, sunny day. My morning ride saw me reducing the layers of clothing by a half and I could have gone further. Other cyclists were donning t-shirts! Cold weather will soon return and perhaps that is for the best, since the lockdown continues until Spring.

I think the current period, so lamented as a time of adversity in the human realm, might be seen differently in another part of the animal kingdom. I refer to dogs, for surely this time, like no other time, cannot be other than a golden age for our canine friends.

Everywhere I go, there are dogs on leads, dogs cocking legs, dogs with tails triumphant, dogs with snouts in the air. What must they think, after months or years on the slim rations dolled out by their masters, to be lorded as kings. Everyday the company of their friends from morning to night, everyday the long walk, everyday the much-sought-after attention!

A golden era, indeed.

No comments: