Thursday, August 12, 2021

There is confusingly little light at the end of the tunnel for the good denizens of NSW. An extended lockdown is being mooted in some circles until November, which still seems like a world away, this being the last month of Winter and that being the last of Spring. That is a whole season. I don't mind the masks, the jabs or the digital check-ins, though it would be nice to go back to my work at 2RPH and hang out in those city haunts that I so love. Still, it's small price to pay in the scheme of things.

I can understand that this might drive some people a little bonkers - those with busy working and social lives - but I cannot fathom what drives others to become completely irrational. There is one fellow, recently arrested, who drove from Sydney to a popular town on the north coast and has set off a lockdown. He said he didn't believe in the virus even though he was infected by it. What could that possibly mean - that he can't see it and therefore I doesn't exist? Would he care to apply the same muddled thinking to toothache, or leukaemia, or the many other thing hidden ailments? How about oxygen?

"In a dark time, the eye begins to see" wrote Theodore Roethke, in a poem that dealt with his own demons. If only, I hope, that we all might.

No comments: