Thursday, November 25, 2021

Getting back into the swing of things with my volunteer work has been very much a stop and start process. Just when it seems that we might be getting closer to something approaching normal service, one or other aspect of the pandemic creates a new setback. With so many fairly elderly volunteers at the station, management is obviously very careful with how prepping and programming run. They have quite reasonably erred on the side of caution. Sydney is one of the most double-vaxxed cities in the world but complacency (which I see every day) might needlessly cost lives.

But yesterday, for my shift presenting a daily newspaper, I was permitted a reader in my studio, rather than next door. It makes a world of difference to the setup and rollout of each session as it gives me more precise editorial control over what is being read. That's important because we run to strict time schedules; we cannot bleed into other programs or allow segments to be unrepresented. I would be happy with readers choosing articles to read but for the fact that there are some people who want to hear their own voice too often and will only too happily dominate the proceedings. So, the buck stops with me.

I received this pic in the mail this morning, taken by one of the staff. I hope that it doesn't find its way into promotional material. From memory, I was just about to do a time call.



No comments: