Saturday, May 14, 2022

Next Saturday there is a Federal Election in Australia. God willing, I will travel to Canberra the day before polling day to visit my long-time friend John, now a lecturer at the University Of Canberra. We will spend the better part of 48 hours discussing politics (not everyone's cup of tea, I realise) and watching as the results come in on Saturday night. I hope that this time, there is a just result. I am sorely tired of the conservatives.

It is by the grace of God that I can still contemplate such journeys. It is frankly a wonder that I am so happily married, have my own house (shambolic as it is!), have good friends and the chance to do interesting volunteer work. My superannuation covers pretty much all living costs. So there are many blessings in my life and it can only be through grace that I have made it so far.

I have not come through unscathed - life conjures many disappointments and afflictions. For forty years I went my own way and paid the price for it. On reflection, I can see many occasions when a higher price should have been paid and a few when my very existence was in question.

But here I am ready to try again. Even to say that shows that a greater love is at work than I can possibly describe.

No comments: