Monday, July 25, 2022

Not to hark on a theme or anything, but the Grand Sumo Tourney in Nagoya has fallen victim to the corona virus in a big way. Well over a dozen wrestlers have been forced to withdraw as a result of an infection in the their stable (heya). The NHK broadcasts have been compelled to include lower division matches to make up the program time. I can never recall that happening before but I am pleased at having the chance to see rikishi I have never seen; also the opportunity to watch Asanoyama at work in the 4th division. Well done to the latter at 7-0.

But congratulations are in order for rank and filer (maegashira) Ichinojo who won his first Emperor's Cup last night (12-3). Things fell his way in the end - as they often have to - for such a result to occur. I think a promotion may be in order for the next basho. Meanwhile, not another peep out of me on this topic for two months. Promise!

No really, it's yours!










Photo courtesy Japan Forward.

No comments: