Monday, August 01, 2022

 A little over twenty years ago a small group of us, all from a local choir, decided to meet together to sing songs in the Taize tradition. These are simple, yet powerful songs - often very short and therefore repeated - in a variety of languages. Their purpose is to create unity and spiritual uplifting amongst whoever is assembled. They are often aimed to benefit Christian youth across the spectrum of denominations.

Our little group was quite secular but we liked singing. The meditative quality of each piece nevertheless spoke to a deeper spiritual yearning, one that I think resides in everyone. The group petered out eventually - I think the householder moved on - but these songs kept popping up at regular choir meetings. The Christian content was apt to bother some people, so Latin was an excellent mask for these folks.

Lately I've been thinking about Taize again. There are taize-style services in Sydney and even one in the Blue Mountains. So I think I will check it out. And if you'd like to know more about Taize than the pittance I have described, here is a link to the very well-spring:

https://www.taize.fr/en

No comments: